Angelia Vernon Menchan

Angelia Vernon Menchan is an author, publisher and public speaker who owns two publishing companies, MAMM Productions and Honorable Menchan Media. Mrs. Menchan is also a Budget Officer and former Job Corps Counselor. To date she has published twenty-three books of her own work, both fiction and non-fiction and more than eighty ebook novellas on amazon.com. You can access her bibliography on www.amazon.com search words: Angelia Vernon Menchan




Contact information:
Website: http://acvermen.blogspot.com
Email: acvermen@yahoo.com
Phone numbers: 904 714 2272 904 303 2679

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I DO WHAT I DO~

Writers cannot be soft…for real…there are days and times when the only person who believes in what you are doing is you…and guess what; that needs to be enough…because the one thing is that holds true always is that your dreams are for you to accomplish, through GOD’S Grace to be sure, but yours alone, mostly…

When I started writing a few years ago…I knew this, strictly from a common-sense stance, but there was something in me that really wanted and needed others to cosign on it and tell me what I was doing was awesome…and there were a few…my youngest son was immediately one of my biggest fans…my husband was also in full support, though
I have to say right here, right now that he was a bit leery of the subject matter at first, was concerned with what people would think about me writing about people who cheat, lesbians and the like…I had to kindly gently tell him, ‘Sweetie, this is not about you, but about me and my work…” Ironically, later, at the times when I was ready to quit or trying to hide my first work for whatever reason, he was my biggest cheerleader…because he had come to understand that, writing was part and parcel of what made me, Me…and he had signed up for the whole woman…

On other fronts, there were family members who for reasons only known to them were not supportive…still aren’t and I really don’t care at this point, because what I know for sure is that if I allow people to control what I say and how I say it, nothing will ever get said…as I told someone I love profoundly, only God can still my voice and change what I say…and in many ways he has…I still write about complex people with myriad issues…but much of the cussing and the teeny-weeny bit of sex I wrote about in a couple of books, have mostly faded to black, because what I had to discover for myself is that I can write and tell stories without all that…to be sure…and I also know that while I want those I love to love me, I surely don’t need their approval on how I feed my soul and earn my money…what I tell them, ‘Is get your own thing and do that, while I do my thing and we will allow our solo pursuits to be solo and our together stuff to be together…”

Just this morning, I checked my website and got a message that reinforced for me why I do what I do…and that while it might not be for everyone…the fact that there are some who want it, and even if there weren’t, I need to do it…

Message:

I just finished reviewing a copy of Mrs. Black? for OOSA online-book club. I was so impressed with Mrs. Black? I am going to read all of your other work as well. Congrats on a job well done. Anne Draper….


BE THE PEACE YOU SEEK…
Angelia
www.angeliamenchan.com

7 comments:

Jennifer C. said...

I tell people that I write stories my mother and children won't be ashamed of. So, my very first full length novel has it all in there, cussing and sexing, but a las not many people has had the opportunity to read it, because it's still on my computer.

Maybe one day I will rework it and share it with my readers. But right now God is giving me stories that have to do with people struggling with their faith. Maybe it's a reflection of something or someone in my own life.

But like you, Angelia, I do what I do. Keep doing you because your stories are really good works, that are different than the norm.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

When I wrote Black's Obsession and Cinnamon's Universe which has most of the aformentioned my mom and my kids were not the issue. I was not ashamed at all of what I had written and would do it the same way all over again...could not tell those stories without doing that way...it was simply that people in my life were worried about what people would say and how it would reflect on them...Huh...it was and still is not about anyone but me...and for you allow God to move your voice...

Smooches!
angelia

Shelia G said...

Writer's have to be firm in their faith because as you mentioned--it can be a lonely journey. We each have to live our own path and it would be oh so nice if people supported us--but God always make provisions when you're on the path He wants you to go.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Sister Shelia,
that is it exactly...

Blessings!
angelia

Folake Taylor, MD. said...

I am so encouraged by you and I believe God sent me to read your interview by Joey Pinkney. He had tagged me on facebook I believe yesterday but I couldn't get to it and somehow forgot. I was prompted to look for the interview today which I did and I am thankful that I did. I recently lost a friend of 15 years after she read my book, "The Only Way is Up". She had me stuck in a box in her mind and could not accept that I was not the same person and God had elevated me. She picked a fight over weight issues (I also address diet, health etc in the book being an MD). She called me all kinds of names. I moved on. God is good. Every day is a beautiful day. Some people are in my life for a reason, some for a season and some for a lifetime. And like you, I also get on the net and blog about it because I don't care if they read it. I'm touching somebody. AMEN sister!

stellbread said...

I like to say that I write the way the world is, and we know the world can be a cold place with some things that are rather unpleasant.
My moither asked me why some of the characters in my novel HUMAN TRIAL cussed so much, and I told her they were (as far as they knew) the sole survivors of an alien attack and the pressure they faced kept everyone on edge.
In short, ethics in a character work in situations where ethics are called for; otherwise, keep it real.
Moist people that I know think writing is a waste unless you're making Stephen King type money. I just tell them that unless they write, they will never understand my motivation.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Folake,
I am glad you found me also, I am going to check out your book...

Thanks Stellbread...

angelia